Fruitypro's Poker Blog

Friday, January 26, 2007

Getting Better Hopefully

I'm feeling quite a bit better this week which I'm obviously happy about, but I've still got to have a scan in about 10 days and haven't even had my xray results back yet either.

I've started playing, but I'm gonna play 5k hands at 100NL to get back into things before I start playing 2/4. I played 1600 hands yesterday, I thought the standard was appalling. There were two players in that time that I felt had even a decent grasp of preflop concepts (and I knew one of the two guys already!). I picked up $155, should have been about 6 buyins up but got slaughtered by the poker gods with AA losing to KK allin preflop, and also I lost like ridiculous setups to short stacks in 80BB pots such as T3 in a blind battle on an A23T board against his wheel, and AQ on a queen high 3 spade flop against the flopped flush. I also got stacked with AK v A8 after he stacked off with top pair 8 kicker and gutshot on the turn. He hit his gutshot, obv. He was about an 80/9, so I can't ever see myself folding there.

I've linked a ton more blogs on the right, hopefully I've remembered to include everyone that asked - if you'd like to be linked (or if I've forgotten to add you lol!) then please just let me know through the comments.

I'll add some hands from the weekend session over the weekend.

Dan.

4 Comments:

  • Hi,

    nice to hear that you're feeling better now. Starting from lower stakes after a short break is a nice habit that I should also get more familiar with. The problem I have is that I seem to lack some discipline while playing below 200NL. One thing that I have cured from is spewing at the begining of sessions. I used to play too aggressive at the beginning without proper reads from the players.

    Once again good luck with your adventure at 2/4. I think you're playing at Stars right now, but at least at FTP you need to felt with weaker hands a lot more compared to 1/2. You seem to play those small buy-in donkaments, but do you play any real tournaments that have a real buy-in? I used to hate tournament poker, but it seems playing the ring games has given me the patience that is needed to success there. I've added one tournament in addition to my ring game tables every now and then and e.g. yesterday I made the final table at FTP $69+6 10K guarantee. Playing ring games gives you excellent knowledge about pre-flop hand selection compared to stack sizes and superb post-flop skills compared to many tournament players, so you clearly have an edge when blinds are small.

    One thing that I don't like about tournaments is not to be able to have a decent break for 4 hours...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Fri Jan 26, 12:41:00 pm  

  • Hey man,

    I'm quite lucky in that I treat all levels with equal respect - I dunno why this is but I kinda respect the money regardless of the stakes. A lot of people seem to have the spewing problem at the start, I think maybe taking a tighter line early on at a table is probably a good idea, and then opening up later on.

    As for 2/4 I def agree with felting weaker hands - I've been reading a lot on 2+2/CR mid stakes forums and trying to absorb what respected people are saying. I do definitely agree too that I need to be calling down somewhat lighter in some spots but as always, thats opponent and situation dependent.

    Tournament wise, I usually play the small tournaments live cos I play them for a night out with my dad rather than for any real financial gain. The players are really horrible though, but you need to be an utter luckbox to win because people can't fold, so blind stealing can be very difficult. They do play cash though, so maybe it would be a good idea to play live cash more. Problem is it's so, so boring!

    I've played quite a few live tournaments and never had a huge degree of success (possibly ran bad I think overall, with an inability to win races!) although I have won several for like £1k or something and chopped a couple. I definitely think I can do well playing tournaments but until I get a good score or two, I don't really want to commit much money to it.

    I did say that I didn't want to play many tournaments this year, but what I am thinking of doing is playing 2-3 satellites live per month to try to get into some live main event comps in London/Brighton/Surrey which will be like £300-£1000 buyin with about 100 players. If I can satellite into a couple then I guess I can think about committing more money to doing that. If I do well at 2/4 or even higher, I might just buy into them directly if I think I have a good chance of doing well. I definitely agree with you about the patience to succeed, in fact I think I've been too patient previously and not been aggressive enough with M<5.

    Good luck man, speak soon.

    Dan.

    By Blogger Fruitypro, at Fri Jan 26, 01:52:00 pm  

  • Welcome back from the sickness fruity. It's like you dissapeard lately, I haven't seen you on msn in ages.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Fri Jan 26, 03:14:00 pm  

  • Cheers man, well I was on holiday for a couple of weeks before that and didn't have MSN on my laptop (I've had massive probs with it so keep only the poker software on it). I'll hit you up on msn to chat this weekend.

    Cheers,

    Dan.

    By Blogger Fruitypro, at Fri Jan 26, 03:30:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home