Fruitypro's Poker Blog

Sunday, December 31, 2006

2006 Review And New Years Resolutions!

Well, where am I? Well I'm just being stagnant at 1/2 at the moment although I haven't played much over the last two weeks. This is frustrating as I'm feel like I'm not getting anywhere despite playing well. I'm sure this will change (Well I really hope it does!) and I'm annoyed at not reaching my goal of playing 2/4 by the end of the year. But I guess I have to be happy at the progress I have made since April when I joined CR and I suppose I'll take that.

My goals for 2007:-

To be winning at 5/10 by the end of the year. This should be attainable with decent progress and effort. I'm not far off playing 2/4 and I'd like to think I'd do well there.

Following on from this, playing 500k hands for the year. This is just >40k per month and there's no reason why I can't do that.

To play <10 tournaments live, and <5 online. They frustrate me big time, they waste my time and I usually don't enjoy them. I'll only play ones with mates such as small UK festivals or when I go to the poker club on a night out with my Dad occasionally.

Have a good balance in life. What I mean here is have a healthy balance between poker and other things so that I'm not getting totally immersed in the game.

A non-poker goal. To manage my phone bill well and stop getting obscene bills. My contract is up and I'm gonna negotiate a good deal which allows me a good amount of free cross network minutes. And when these are up, don't call people cross network for >1 minute. It's ridiculously expensive and not worth it. Over the last 3 years I've probably spent like a decent car on a phone bill which is just a joke. I also don't even know the number to call to find out how many minutes I have, which is sick.

That's about it, and hopefully I'll be able to manage all 5. I really hope so.

Happy new year to all!

5 Comments:

  • One nice thing about keeping a blog is that you are able to look back what you have promised to yourself:) 5/10 is a tough goal even though some seem to make it quite fast. I don't know how much you have played 2/4 and above, but the thing seems to be that you need to be able to exploit the regulars - not only the fish. I've only around 5k hands at 2/4 and I'm not a loser there (I only 4-table). Why I didn't continue was the fact that I didn't feel comfortable there. When I play I want to have the feeling that I've got a clear edge.

    Other goals - well... I can relate to all other but the phone bill thing. In Finland we have a different kind of system, and you're not tied to one operator(unless you want to) and that keeps the prices low. Haven't really played after Christmas, so now back to tables.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Jan 01, 07:52:00 pm  

  • Hi mate,

    I haven't really played much 2/4 and above (a bit of £2/£2 live which is very deep, but v.poor standard) but obviously it is a natural progression and I think 1/2 currently on sites such as FTP are now probably harder than 2/4 was pre-legislation. So I'm not sure that it's such a big step up as it perhaps once was, due to the increasing aggro nature of 1/2, and the ability required in reraised pots even at 1/2 is now very important and I guess good preparation to the higher level games.

    I think exploiting the regulars is definitely something that needs to be done to succeed at the higher stakes - whereas previously I haven't differentiated between 2 players who were say 22/17, obviously one player could significantly better (or more aggro) postflop whereas their preflop ranges will be v.similar, and the weaker player could be exploited somewhat more. That's something I am definitely looking at and I feel is a huge factor in achieving success at the midstakes and higher.

    I think if people study, and play enough hands it's definitely possible to move up from even 25c/50c to 5/10 within a calendar year. As I'm bankroll wise pretty well at 2/4 (and I feel I'm much much improved from when I started @ 1/2) then realistically I only have to beat 2/4 and 3/6 to get to 5/10. I def wouldn't move up to 5/10 unless I felt I was capable of beating it though because I realise it's a big step up.

    I think UK has the highest prices for phone bills in the world. It's sick. In fact I think we have the highest prices for everything pretty much. Last night (New Years Eve!) we went out and a meal cost 15 Euros each inc. unlimited wine. That would be probably £100 in England, no joke. Thanks to our wonderful government for everything.

    Good luck mate!

    By Blogger Fruitypro, at Mon Jan 01, 08:43:00 pm  

  • If i had the same knowledge of the game as you fruity i would take a few thousand, write it off, find some weak 5/10 games and take a crack.

    Have you ever thought about doing this? Or do you think its pointless?

    By Blogger Crazy Bear, at Thu Jan 04, 08:52:00 pm  

  • Hey Steve,

    I dunno mate. I've been so keen to have super good bankroll management I'm not sure I'd want to go down this road. I'm not sure I could avoid realising how much money I was playing with a 3-bet preflop is like half a stack at 1/2! If I was beating 3/6 then obviously it's different but so far when I've moved up I've found the hardest thing has been getting used to the betting amounts. I'm also not sure how I'd go about finding weak 5/10 games unless I found a huge donator from my regular game.

    Cheers,

    Dan.

    By Blogger Fruitypro, at Thu Jan 04, 11:08:00 pm  

  • Fair dos Dan fair dos, sure your right. Its frustrating to see some of the weak play at 5/10 (like guys limping in all the time) and not being able to sit. Guess the time you'd spend hunting out the weaker games/researching weakest players you might aswell stick with the plan.

    I remember you saying in your recent cardrunners vid that you played fruit machines profitably - jesus i didn't know that was possible!! how is that possible? any tips? i want to try that out for a bit of fun.

    cheers

    steve

    By Blogger Crazy Bear, at Fri Jan 05, 07:48:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home