Fruitypro's Poker Blog

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Screwed Up Society

Because it doesn't respect people who try to better themselves off their own back. It's totally ridiculous.

A few years ago I got turned down for a mortgage. Not because I was playing fruit machines for a living (that was ok, apparently, and all they needed was an estimate of my income), but because my credit number was low because I never borrowed. How fucked up is that? I'm like 'Ok I have money in my pocket, savings, why borrow or use a credit card? That's good money management' Society is like 'He must borrow, and use a credit card to see how he reacts to borrowing'. Hmmm. So I just stayed at home and lost £25k in a business instead.

In fact, that was another instance where trying to better myself ran into severe problems. I got screwed by everyone and their mother and got out before I got into even bigger trouble.

And then it comes to a point recently. I decide that it's time to move out of my parents and rent a flat (with a view to buying one in 6-12 months time). I find a nice brand new flat to rent and cos I knew there would be trouble I said I'd pay 6 months up front. That's fine for me and I didn't mind doing that. Now, if I was a landlord, I'd say 'Sweet, this guy is offering me 6 months payment which I can make 5% interest on, with no risk of them defaulting'. They said 'He's a poker player, I don't want him in my flat'. That is serious. I'm like, for fucks sake what can I do? I even proved that I'm covering all my rent and bills in my coaching income, but apparently that didn't help... Lol.

This leads me onto my next point. I never really felt sorry for homeless people before, or people down on their luck. But if it's this hard for me to RENT a flat with plenty of savings etc, how on God's Green Earth do people on the streets or just out of prison sort themselves out? They basically get crushed by society and have little/no chance. A lot of these people are probably decent guys who have had a couple of things go against them and they never get a second chance in society.

I am actually gonna look at a few more flats tomorrow. Hopefully I won't find any more anti-poker landlords...

Shout out to all my poker players still living with their parents!

10 Comments:

  • That is really mest up. Which part of the UK is that. I don't understand all these people turning down hard cash.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Feb 08, 12:12:00 am  

  • Hey man before everything happened with my mom and all I was trying to find an apartment on my own using poker as my source of income and I offered to pay 6 months up front as you did and they still denied me, not because of my credit but because of "gambling" being my profession. Its just not fair and you're showing them you can make a damn good amount of money what you're doing.

    Just wish people saw poker as us poker players do.

    Goodluck at the tables, I enjoy your videos, please keep them coming.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Feb 08, 09:21:00 am  

  • Thats ridiculous dude. You live in/just outside London dont you?

    I live in Ealing, which area are you looking in?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Feb 08, 11:51:00 am  

  • Hey man,

    Yeah I live in Kent, basically West Kent/Sussex area. Such BS.

    Dan

    By Blogger Fruitypro, at Thu Feb 08, 02:00:00 pm  

  • move to austria, here to people may be as screwed up as they are in the UK, but at least if you have the money,
    they will just shut their mouth and by glad that you pay your rent ;)

    mfg dia

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sat Feb 10, 03:04:00 pm  

  • Coxhed - That's basically what they said to me too! So sick. I hope everything is going well with your mom.

    Dia - what's Austria like? I've never been there. Cheap cost of living or is it expensive like Switzerland?

    By Blogger Fruitypro, at Sat Feb 10, 06:29:00 pm  

  • Sounds like you've just been very unlucky. Have you thought about lying? Seems crazy they accept students and not someone creative and determined enough to make money at poker.

    This is Philip Marsh's bro btw, nice blog :)

    PS Aba20 has joined CR, how sweet eh?

    By Blogger Chris, at Mon Feb 12, 04:26:00 pm  

  • People with bad credit ratings are the people they're most interesting cos they can bleed them dry. If you're good with repayments then they'd be better off investing their money elsewhere. Disgraceful, but true.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Fri Feb 16, 02:48:00 am  

  • My previous comment was refering to mortgage companys btw, not landlords. Landlords are just stressed out arseholes. If poker ever becomes my primary source of income then I'm not gonna mention it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Fri Feb 16, 02:54:00 am  

  • Hey sinkrox,

    Cheers for the comments! Yeah I did think about lying, was gonna say I was an accountant or sth but it was ok in the end for the other place. Basically they said I had to pay 6 months up front cos I had no records etc... Sucks doesn't it.

    I watched the aba20 vid, it was awesome. I was especially impressed with the quality of strategy in it, the detailed levels of notes he took as well. Also his discussion of c-betting I found useful too.

    James - yeah I agree. Them defaulting usually -> profit for the mortgage company. They are basically lending with no risk cos they can sieze the house if they need to anyway. What would u mention as a job if that was the case?

    Cheers,

    Dan

    By Blogger Fruitypro, at Sat Feb 17, 09:10:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home