Fruitypro's Poker Blog

Friday, February 23, 2007

Dial Up Is The Nuts

Well, it is at least for the time being. I moved into my new flat on Tuesday, which took ages, I didn't realise I had so much stuff! Wednesday was spent setting up flat pack furniture, which I did ok but my back was not ok at the end of proceedings. My new computer desk took 3 hours to set up... But it's a good setup and this will def help me having a non cluttered working environment.

I also phoned up AOL to get my broadband transferred to my new number. They said it would take 10-15 days, why I'm not sure, I thought we were in the 21st century but obviously not. They said I could go on dial up for free though which I thought about before realising my new pc doesnt have a modem...

So I went to a coffee shop with internet and forked out £40 for a monthly pass. I messed about with some 50NL but kept getting disconnected before I realised where the best place to sit was. Unfortunately for a coffee shop which advertises itself as very internet orientated, the place has a whole 2 (yes 2) plug sockets. One upstairs, one downstairs. Lol. So basically when you go in there it's like a stealth movement. You first of all get the seat near the power point, and then get the internet best spot. Or vice versa, load of bollocks basically.

Here are my stats for 200NL at the cafe. Please note - I am not a nit. I just play like one. Seriously, every hand had a 3 in it most of the time. Apart from one time when I had 33, and so did the other guy :-) I won't force the action in these instances. I did ok $ wise anyway.

Hands: 640
VPIP: 14.22%
PFR: 12.34%
Profit: $348.45
BB/100: 13.61

Two things I have noticed. Firstly, you dont get many hands in playing 3/4 tables. Secondly, I don't like reeking of smoke each day because even in the 'non smoking area' you still get covered in the stuff.

So I went to PC World this afternoon to buy a dial up external modem. Just to give it a shot. I spent £25 to get it, only to get home and find it had nowhere to connect to on my pc cos my pc is too new for it :-( I went back with my pc and the modem and the guy offered to give me an exchange for one with which has a usb cable instead - even though I didnt have the receipt (tho he did serve me when I went the first time) or a box or half the components! Ship it! I got home. I tried to log on. Couldn't. Ended up on the phone to a call centre for half an hour and finally I am now online, in my flat, but on dialup. Never felt so sweet. It's slow, but I've written this quick enough, been on CR which is bearable speed, and I've datamined 16 tables throughout with no problems. So I can now play in here. Including the £40 fee at the cafe (which I'm gonna go to tomorrow to download all the latest CR vids, some dj mix sessions and maybe watch PB) and the £30 for the new modem, it's cost me £70 to get online. I won about £180 at the cafe so I guess thats ok.

This is also good news because it will allow me to compete to the maximum in the 1k challenge starting next week. I'm buzzing for this.

Good luck at the tables,

FP

7 Comments:

  • Familiar situation dude! I've been now using dial up with my cell phone for almost 2 months since my new apartment where I transfered my broadband is going through renovation(partly by lazy me...). In Finland you can get 128kb 3G connection with unlimited data for 19€ / month, so that's not bad. 16 tables works just fine, but you definitely gotta have the charger plugged to your phone. Actually the phone is kinda hot after 2h session, so there goes the mobility :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Fri Feb 23, 08:47:00 pm  

  • You have pics of your new desk setup?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sun Feb 25, 01:47:00 am  

  • Hi there,

    I've added your blog to my links, would be cool if u could add blondepoker for me. Now that I've discovered this blog, I'll be sure to keep up. Good read, cheers,

    snoops

    By Blogger snoopy1239, at Sun Feb 25, 08:02:00 am  

  • Sprukts - lol that sounds a crazy setup, dialup with a cell phone wtf!

    Coxhed - soon I promise! When I get a new mobile phone next week I'll do this using the camera on it.

    Snoops - about to add m8.

    Cheers and good luck,

    FP

    By Blogger Fruitypro, at Sun Feb 25, 10:07:00 pm  

  • Hi Dan,

    I'm on AOL also and just recently had the 10-15 day wait till they sorted out BB lol, i found i couldn't play much cause i kept disconnecting, i dont really like AOL much, i've actually this AOL account now for 6 years, its kinda stuck with me ARGHHHH!

    good luck in the challenge i'll keep an eye out.

    steve

    By Blogger Crazy Bear, at Mon Feb 26, 05:34:00 pm  

  • I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this post. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well.

    Voip Service

    By Anonymous Voip Service, at Wed Feb 01, 06:49:00 am  

  • I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this post. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well.

    Golden Triangle Tours

    By Anonymous Golden Triangle Tours, at Wed Feb 01, 11:52:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home