Fruitypro's Poker Blog

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Taking A Back Seat For Some Study

I have barely played in the last week. I've been running pretty bad/average/playing pretty bad/average over the last month or so and have pretty much had a break even and swingy last four weeks. After last saturday's session (-4 buyins) - check out the hands at the end, I decided to devote a lot of time this week to thinking/discussing/reading about the game. I've been reading a lot on 2+2, particularly the strategy articles in the master sticky for SSNL which I'd definitely recommend. It's good advice and although it may take a while to plough through it all, it's pretty worthwhile doing so IMO.

I played yesterday, I dropped $70 over 700 hands but felt I played tons better. I ran KK into AA twice for about a $250 loss (where was the King?!!!) and made a questionable shove with an overpair in a multiway reraised pot where I got stacked. I think generally it was an easy fold but against this villain I was in front at least 25% of the time IMO, although his line generally does scream a set.

I'm gonna be trying to play 6-8 hours a day now and I'm gonna be trying to take more of a long term view of the game. No depression after a bad session, no rationalising the real money involved. All my bankroll (where I'm overrolled easily for $1/$2) is pure profit so why do I take this short term approach? It's wrong and if I'm gonna get somewhere in this game I need to be able to not care if I drop money as long as I play well. I'm gonna keep up the study as well, become active on 2+2 as well as CR and I'm hoping all these things will gradually mould me into a player who can play successfully at mid/high stakes.

Here's the 2 brutal hands from last saturday, as well as another one I couldn't get away from, and yesterday's 2 KK hands and the questionable JJ hand.

This was horrible, and probably was a result of my lack of confidence. I've been told I should have shoved the flop but I was seeing monsters with KT. That's why I checked the turn cos I wanted him to lead river with his straight and get pot committed. Brutal game sometimes.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?606488

The next hand was horrid. His play was terrible and he got lucky for a split after I flopped the nuts. Ace on the river and I think I'd have lost it.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?606487

Hard to get away from this one, even after his overbet. He was a huge fish, too.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?606490

KK v AA, for half a buyin.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?606492

KK v AA, for a full buyin, against a 65/20 who limp reraised me when I had QQ on the last hand. I'm never gonna fold this against him.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?606494

JJ very questionable shove. Opponent was 22/14 but was not very good IMO. Completed and called raises with trash particularly suited junk. I felt AT and overs w/FD was in his range but got far too married to my hand and should have folded because his action screams set. I live and learn. Original preflop reraiser was 25/16 I think so his range for reraising an UTG raiser would have been pretty narrow IMO. He almost certainly had AK.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?606497

And that's about it. Good luck at the tables everyone and now I'm gonna be playing a lot more I'll try to update with some hands most days.

Dan.

2 Comments:

  • I'll give you a comment so that you won't feel lonely in here:) Playing bad is something that happens to me also every now and then, and it's not just few hands. It might be a very long session. This kind of thing must not be confused with tilting, this is totally different. For me playing bad normally includes not thinking rationally. I seem to ignore pot odds etc. when making folds and also overestimating my implied odds especially OOP. Still, this is not tilting. For me the best cure is reviewing my hands and also watching a video of solid poker has helped me.

    Also welcome to 2p2, I noticed that you have posted quite actively during the last week.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue Nov 14, 12:02:00 pm  

  • " I seem to ignore pot odds etc. when making folds"

    This is something that has definitely happened to me, yeah.

    I feel I'm playing much better now but I'm still finding it pretty hard to string two winning sessions together.

    I'm gonna post quite a bit on 2+2 - I don't know if I'm imagining it but I find the atmosphere on there fairly arrogant but it's a huge learning resource so I'd be foolish to ignore it.

    Good luck mate.

    Dan.

    By Blogger Fruitypro, at Tue Nov 14, 02:28:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home