Fruitypro's Poker Blog

Thursday, October 26, 2006

The Mathematics Behind 3-Betting - Strategy Article

One of the things I worked on at my 50NL experiment was becoming far more liberal with my 3-betting preflop, especially when I am out of position against position raises. Not only is this good for getting paid off with your strong hands, and establishing a dominant image on the table, it also has a very sound mathematical basis.

I'm going to discuss several scenarios and the mathematics behind them.

First scenario - you have AQ in the BB, and it's folded to the button (decent-ish 22/16 player). He raises pot, with 55. Standard stuff.

You should always be 3-betting here.

Imagine if you called his raise...The flop comes K 9 6 rainbow - you'd obviously check, and he'd make a standard continuation bet and you'd fold, thinking little more about the hand. This, in effect, has reduced about a 50/50 confrontation to about a 66/33 confrontation in his favour, as this is your approximate chance of hitting the flop. You are out of position, without the betting lead, and need to hit the flop to continue.

However, if you were to 3-bet, he'd be calling only for set value and obviously he'd only hit this about 1/8 and suddenly your hand turns to about an 80/20 favourite because he'd almost always check/fold to your continuation bet if he misses his set.

So by raising you have dramatically turned the tables on your opponent and made yourself a huge favourite mathematically, just by making another raise preflop - plus you give him the chance of folding and taking the pot preflop as well.

Second scenario - you have 22 in the BB, and it's folded to the button (same decent player) who raises with 65s. Standard stuff again.

If you call his raise, he'd continuation bet a Q 8 3 rainbow flop for example, and you'd be folding the best hand. Everything is against you - you are out of position, without the betting lead and missed your 7/1 shot to hit a set. And even if you do hit, would you get paid? Unless your opponent has a big hand himself(or loses his mind in this example) then the answer is firmly no. There is obviously a huge chance that a semi-lag or even TAG player would be open-raising his button with a wide range, so why should you just call with 22?

Turning the tables, if you were to 3-bet with 22, which is what I advocate, then he'd either fold preflop, which is fine, or he'd call, you'd c-bet the same flop and he'd fold. So you are forcing him to hit the flop in order to win the pot, not making you hit a hand so you are winning the pot with the best hand, not losing it with the best hand. Even if he picked up second pair or bottom pair he'd likely not continue with the hand.

Obviously your opponent's tendencies are very important when considering your options - a player who raises less than 5% of hands wouldn't be raising his button light, for example, but a 35/25 or a 20/15 even would be doing this a lot. Against a player who raised rarely, I'd be much more inclined to call and see a flop and hope to flop a set because there's more chance he'd have a geniune hand such as a strong overpair which could pay me off when I hit. As I said, even if you call with a hand like 22 and hit against a semi-lag/lag player then he almost always won't be paying you off anyway because he raised light to start with.

Your own image is also important - if it is one of getting out of line then you may start facing 4-bets a lot more because they too realise you are 3-betting far from premium hands yourself.

I hope you enjoyed reading the article, and as always I'd be grateful for feedback.

Dan.

7 Comments:

  • Hi,

    one problem with 3-betting is the CR-AI trick that also GP used in one of his videos. If button knows you're a light 3-better against a steal, he'll know your range pretty well. Say, you're 3-betting with 22+, AJ+, ATs+, KQ+, JTs+. If flop is only rags, he has easy choice to raise you AI, since your calling range is so small compared to folding range.

    Have you considered some strategies against these kind of aggressive stealers?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Oct 26, 12:19:00 pm  

  • Hey sprukts,

    I remember playing with you quite a bit on FTP as well, didn't know you were cr too!

    What you advocate is obviously a defence against a serial 3-better, but against a guy who isn't afraid to 3-bet but has a more compact range than the one you state, then it could get very messy... Bearing in mind that people who 3-bet with any regularity would also often have tptk/overpair/big draw etc and will be aware that their aggressive image means that they cannot fold these hands because people will be playing back more because of this image.

    It would be a good strategy if you had a hand like KK/AA, flop a strong overpair and you'd probably make about 30-40% of a buyin if they folded, and they may still go with their inferior hand such as a weaker overpair of tptk.

    As far as strategies against serial 3 bettors is concerned, I am currently trying to work out several strategies - one could mean 4-betting with good but not great hands such as TT/JJ/AK/even AQ, this would deter serial 3-bettors from doing this, which could be good for metagame purposes, but would also only fold their junky hands and you'd be committing a lot of money with a hand that doesn't rate good against their shoving/calling range.

    I'd be interested to hear more on this - I think it's a pretty interesting subject - for example yesterday I open raised JJ in the cutoff, a very good 21/19 player 3-bet me - he knows I could easily be raising light, hence his 3-betting standards are also less. But I have a geniune hand, so how to proceed? 4-bet preflop, or call? And if so, do you play merely for set value (too tight?), or do you c/r with an overpair and just go with your hand?

    Some things to think about anyway...

    Dan.

    By Blogger Fruitypro, at Thu Oct 26, 12:54:00 pm  

  • Hi,

    I noticed that I explained the situation in a bad way, and following has been a very popular move on FTP lately. I'm the light 3-bet guy from blinds here. I get called by button, and after my flop continuation bet he raises me AI on boards that are suiteable for that. The pot is pretty big, and just by making me fold AK, AQ and some other hands, fold equity makes this a winning play. This is something that I have tried to fight against lately. As the aggression has increased a lot lately, playing reraised pots better than others has come an important part of the game. Playing reraised pots also seems to increase variance quite a lot. My October looks like a rollercoaster, and one problem is also that you need a lot hands to prove that you're playing these situations well.

    What comes to 4-betting pre-flop with mediocore hands against a light 3-bettor, I've failed miserably. It seems that people don't give respect to that, since it looks like "I know you propably are reraising me light" kind of move. I haven't done that with KK+, so maybe it's time...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Oct 26, 01:21:00 pm  

  • Sprukts - I certainly get what you describe a fair bit myself - but as you say how to fight it is the next question? I'm sure that some of it is by hands such as 99 on a Q75 flop, for example, which pretty much means you have to pay off a set if you have AQ.

    As you say, the aggresion has increased a ton lately and you're definitely right when you say that playing reraised pots well is a crucial element of being a winning player and unfortunately does increase variance. As with you, I've had a highly variable October after barely losing a session in September.

    I still think a 4-bet would get a certain degree of respect, but it's quite cliched to smooth call a 3-bet with KK/AA these days so maybe it indicates you don't have this if you do 4-bet against a knowledgeable regular. I think something like 50% smooth calling a 3-bet with KK/AA and 50% 4-betting may work quite well for deception and also to try and work things out.

    When I've played with you on FTP before I remember you being a decent solid player and you clearly think a lot about the game, so if you wanted to chat more about poker etc then feel free to add me to your msn list if you use it, my address is vampitup25@hotmail.co.uk.

    Cheers,

    Dan.

    By Blogger Fruitypro, at Thu Oct 26, 02:08:00 pm  

  • FP -- had a chance to quickly skim but will be going back to review and hopefully layer into my game. question though: how many hands did you put in at this level with this strategy, what was your BB/100? effective for this particular level as you may have many people floating you in position and then your facing a tough turn decision in a larger than normal pot on the turn?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Oct 26, 02:55:00 pm  

  • Malfaire,

    When I played 50NL I put in about 10k hands over a few days, running at about 8.5ptbb/100. I put it into play more at 200NL recently and it's worked well, although I have had some shocking beats which has hit my profits, but I am getting my money in when in front almost always so for the long run its good.

    By Blogger Fruitypro, at Fri Oct 27, 08:56:00 am  

  • Hyiii...,
    This blog-post is all about the sports guideness.All the guides about betting are too excellent.Very nice post.Thank you much more for sharing these informations.
    Free Sports Tips Website

    By Blogger Free Sports Tips, at Sat Mar 01, 12:34:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home