Fruitypro's Poker Blog

Friday, October 13, 2006

Taking A Look At Your Game

This is something I really recommend, especially when you are running/playing bad.

Take a step back and really analyse your game. If you are running bad, there are often elements of your play which you can criticise as well. For example, if you got sucked out on because the guy hit the flush on the river, did you bet enough/at all to protect your hand? That sort of thing. I've been doing this a lot recently, and also catching up on some CR videos. It's easy to fall into a rigid routine of only playing x hand in x position and become predictable and easy to read, as well as a bit of a nit.

So I am currently doing an experiment at 50NL - playing much more of a LAG style, bigger preflop raising ranges, more 3-betting preflop etc and generally trying to develop a harder style which will help me at higher stakes. I 6 tabled for about 1500 hands so far today and made about 6.5 buyins lol. I was basically running the tables and people were only playing back at the 'wrong' times which was pretty funny. The flip side of this is that you have to stick with your good overpairs and tptk much more because people will play back at you with less because they have seen you are 'willing to throw some chips around'. It was pretty funny to see how some people regard your play - one guy asked me why i was playing crazy preflop lol. I was like 22/20 on that table...

I'm probably going to stick at 50NL over the weekend, and get a ton of hands in whilst developing and getting confidence with this style before I think about using it at any higher games, but I think this is a very necessary thing to do if I am going to succeed at higher stakes.

I guess the message is - if you are running/playing bad, take a while to analyse your game, look in poker tracker at all the hands you have dropped over 1/2 a buyin with and see if you really are spewing chips and making suboptimal decisions. And don't be scared to drop down to experiment and try some things out which will improve your long run game.

Dan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home